This semester, there will be two sets of projects from which to choose:
- IME, Inc.: Students working on projects for IME, Inc. will choose from derivative/enhancement projects, platform projects, or breakthrough projects based on the current product offering.
- Derivative/enhancement projects will create a contract book to develop a derivative or enhancement product and/or process for IME, Inc.
- Platform projects will create a contract book outlining the development of the next generation platform to be designed in IME, Inc.
- Breakthrough projects will create a contract book for the next breakthrough product for IME, Inc. Your goal is to determine what the next generation of products to produce in IME, Inc. As a breakthrough group, you have the most freedom and flexibility in how you define your project.
- Ivalo Lighting: Students working with Ivalo Lighting can choose from four derivative projects to enhancement the current lighting platform shown below. Projects will include:
- Material selection: investigate the use of composites (e.g., Kevlar) for making the shell and canopy.
- Forming processes: investigate the use of alternative forming techniques for making larger versions of the shell and canopy out of different metals (e.g., aluminum or steel).
- Structural design and analysis: examine the structural support and stability of the current lighting platform for varying lengths.
- DFMA/quality audit: assess the manufacturability and assemblability of the current lighting platform to reduce manufacturing costs and lead time.