Used bicycles (typically 10 speed versions) are dissected and refurbished. Students explore engineering principles such as work, energy, power transmission, materials, biomechanics – things they never thought of before when they rode their bike!
- Bicycle Dissection Handout <PDF>
- Bicycle Lecture Slides Part 1 (Intro and History)
- Bicycle Lecture Slides Part 2 (Biomechanics)
- Bicycle Lecture Slides Part 3 (Design Issues) <PPT>
- Pine Grove Mills Topo Map <JPEG>
- Bicycle Power Calculator
Bicycle Dissection Schedule:
Reading Material (copies provided in class):
- "A Short History of Human-Powered Vehicles", David Gordon Wilson, American Scientist, Volume 74, 1986, pp. 350-357.
- Bicycling Magazine's Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA, 1994.
- Richard's ultimate bicycle book, by R. Ballantine and R. Grant, Dorling Kindersley Inc., New York., 1992.
- Science of cycling, E. R. Burke editor, Human Kinetics, 1986.
- The way things work, by David Macauley, Houghton Mifflin, NY 1988.