How to Apply
October 15th is the deadline for spring admission. Very few new graduate students are admitted in the spring semester. You will be informed of our decision by e-mail.
December 15th is the deadline for fall admission. Decisions on admission and financial aid are typically made by March 15th. You will be informed of our decision by e-mail.
Visit the World Campus website for online program application deadlines.
The Graduate Programs Office considers many criteria for admissions, including your letters of recommendation and potential for successful study and research. More information on the requirements for graduate school admission can be found on the Penn State Graduate School website. Below are some basic criteria.
- Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in ME or a related engineering area. To get an idea of the courses a PSU BSME student takes, click here. For information about the minimum levels of math and physics needed to pursue graduate studies in ME click here.
- A 3.00 or higher junior-senior grade point average. Most successful applicants have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- A competitive score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Average scores for recent successful applicants can be found here.
- For international students, acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores are required. Information about minimum acceptable scores & exemptions can be found here.
Required Application Materials
- Access the online application through the Penn State Graduate School.
- Do not send any materials by mail to Penn State - application materials are included in your online application.
- Find information about application fees & other common questions on the FAQ page.
The following items must be included in your online application:
- Statement of purpose Click Here for more information
- Journal papers (optional) Click Here for more information
- Three (3) letters of recommendation Click Here for more information
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores Click Here for more information
- Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Scores or Official IELTS Scores (International Students) Click Here for more information
- Official Transcripts Click Here for more information
Edit or check an existing application at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/existing-application/
Returning StudentsStudents who have not been enrolled in classes for one or more semesters (excluding summer session) must inform the Graduate School and the MNE Graduate Programs Office when they wish to continue taking courses.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and inform the MNE Graduate Programs Office that you will be taking classes.
Click Here to Submit a Resume Study form to PSU’s Graduate School. There is no fee for the Resume Study Form.
Provisional admission is a temporary classification in which an applicant may remain for a period of no longer than two semesters following admission or the time it takes to accrue 15 credits, whichever comes first. If the deficiencies that caused the provisional admission are not corrected by this time, you may not achieve full admission.
In order to be considered for provisional admission to the program, official GRE scores must be submitted. International students must also submit official TOEFL scores unless they meet the exemption requirements.