Instrument Room and Machine Shop
Undergraduate Student Workshop
The Undergraduate Student Workshop is located in 23 Reber. This facility is equipped with a variety of metal working machinery and wood working power equipment to enable students to work on design projects and fabricate prototypes for various courses.
The shop and equipment must be treated with the utmost respect for safety. Students are required to wear closed toe/heel shoes when working in the shop and also wear eye and hearing protection while machinery is running. Safety equipment is provided to the student before entry into the shop.
Students are not permitted to operate the table saw, radial arm saw, or sliding compound miter saw without approval and direct supervision of the shop supervisor. Students are required to take a short training course on each piece of equipment before using it. Hand tools, power tools and equipment training is available to help students learn how to safely and effectively use tools and power equipment and select the proper tool for the task being performed.
Students are required to clean up the shop after they use the equipment.
Graduate Student Machine Shop
A fully equipped machine shop, staffed by a professional machinist, is located in 25 Reber building. The tools and equipment in this shop are for use of the professional staff and trained graduate students.
All students are required to obtain training from the machinist and possess a Learning Factory machine certification before they are allowed to use the equipment in the shop. Training on manual equipment is available for graduate students.
Students and faculty who wish to have a part fabricated must fill out a Machine Shop Work Request Form and provide the machinist with a valid department charge number before machining begins. Materials can be provided to the machinist or a request can be made for the machinist to order the materials and charge the budget number that was provided.
The Machine Shop maintains the highest standards for safety. Users are required to wear closed toe and heel shoes and safety glasses (glasses are provided upon entry). No cell phones or texting while in the shop.
- Haas VF/HS Series CNC Vertical Mill
- Clausing Colchester Electronic Triumph CNC Lathe
- Okamoto Automatic Grinder
- Bridgeport Series 1 Milling Machine
- Bridgeport Milling Machine with Accu-Rite CNC retrofit
- Romi 13-5 Lathe
- Nardini MS1440E Lathe
- Do-All V-36 Bandsaw
- Cosen Horizontal Band Saw
- Wilton Strand Variable Speed Drill Press
- Miller Syncrowave 250 DX TIG Welder
- Miller XMT304 CC/CV DC Inverter Arc Welder with Miller 22A 24V Wire Feeder
- Hyperthem Powermax 600 Plasma Cutter
- Dake 50K Hydraulic Press
- Dake Manual Press
- Delta Belt Sander
- Ingersoll Rand Rotary Bench Grinder
- Craftsman 1/3 hp Rotary Bench Grinder
- Di-Acro Punch, Shear & Brake
- Clarke Abrasive Blast Cabinet
- Shop Outfitter UR5 Universal Bender
- National Foot Shear
- Knotcher Hand Brake