student advising office


Every student in Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is assigned an adviser who is a faculty member in the Department. The faculty adviser is responsible for providing career and professional advice. The Undergraduate Program Office in 139 Reber Building provides academic advising. There are two MNE Curriculum Advisers available Monday thru Friday to assist you with any academic questions you may have. Appointments may be made by emailing or calling 814-863-1993

The Undergraduate Records Assistant in 139 Reber Building is responsible for all student records. Please contact the Undergraduate Records Assistant if you have any questions about your degree audit, course substitutions, graduation, Faculty Senate petitions, co-op, or anything related to interpreting statements made in this manual. The MNE Curriculum Adviser in 140 Reber Building, is available for routine questions and academic advising during a regular posted schedule. The Undergraduate Programs Assistant is responsible for undergraduate program issues and is available for questions about undergraduate policies and procedures. The Associate Head of Undergraduate Programs is Dr. Eric R. Marsh. Dr. Marsh is available to meet with students considering studying abroad to discuss curriculum choices.

Although the faculty and staff of the MNE Department will help you as much as possible, the student should realize two important facts:

  1. When you have questions, you must take the initiative to see the MNE Curriculum Adviser. The best way of doing this is to contact them and make an appointment.
  2. Your adviser’s role is to help guide and provide insight such that you may make informed decisions. Each student is responsible for their program/course choices and the monitoring of their academic progress. Be aware that the student must “assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning, and the successful completion of all graduation recommendations.” (Academic Policy 32-30)


With more than 60 faculty members, 330 graduate students, and 800 undergraduate students, the Department of Mechanical Engineering is innovating today what will impact tomorrow’s solutions to meeting our energy needs, homeland security, biomedical devices, and transportation systems. We offer B.S. degrees in mechanical engineering as well as resident (M.S., Ph.D.) and online (M.S., M.Eng.) graduate degrees in mechanical engineering. See how we’re inspiring change and impacting tomorrow at

The Ken and Mary Alice Lindquist Department of Nuclear Engineering at Penn State is one of the top ranked nuclear engineering programs in the United States. A strong focus on experimental research distinguishes us from many other programs. Our actively growing program has 8 faculty members and almost 90 graduate students. In the Radiation Science and Engineering Center, nuclear engineering students can take advantage of the Breazeale Nuclear Reactor, the longest operating university research reactor in the country. Visit for more information.

Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering

137 Reber Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802-4400

Phone: 814-865-2519