Students in formation taking pledge from military officer

Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)

Some students choose to join one of the four ROTC programs and receive an officer commission upon graduation. As a consequence, they will take more than the number of credits required for the major.

University rules allow students to substitute 6 credits of ROTC for credits in the major, provided they successfully complete the ROTC Program. In the case of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering students, the last six ROTC credits may be substituted for three credits of GHA requirement and three credits of General Technical Elective (GTE).

ROTC students are normally faced with demanding schedules if they wish to graduate in four years. Also, the addition of the ROTC courses each semester creates unique scheduling problems. These students should see their adviser as soon as possible.



The Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering at Penn State is one of the nation’s largest and most successful engineering departments. We serve more than 1,000 undergraduate students and more than 330 graduate students

We offer B.S. degrees in mechanical engineering and nuclear engineering as well as resident (M.S., Ph.D.) and online (M.S., M.Eng.) graduate degrees in nuclear engineering and mechanical engineering. MNE's strength is in offering hands-on experience in highly relevant research areas, such as energy, homeland security, biomedical devices, and transportation systems.

Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering

137 Reber Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802-4400

Phone: 814-865-2519